Boot Camp Broke My PowerPoint

Boot Camp Broke My PowerPoint

I have what some might consider an odd setup for my work laptop.  I run Windows 7 64-bit on a new 15″ MacBook Pro.  I attempted to run Mac OS X for a while but I found I was too dependent on the Microsoft Office Suite to be really effective so I switched over.   I almost never boot into OS X.

This morning, Apple asked me to update to Boot Camp 3.2.  They promised several critical bug fixes which sounded good to me since I have had some problems with this setup.  I did the update and there was seemingly no problem, so I did not think twice about it. That was until I tried to open PowerPoint.   Whenever I would try to edit a slide, PowerPoint would crash.  I spent about an hour trying to figure out what was wrong.  I opened different slides, I ran Office diagnostics, I rebooted.  I came up empty.

Lucky for me, I remembered about the Boot Camp update this morning.  Also lucky was that I had a recent restore point saved from last Friday.  Even further luck was that I even opened up PowerPoint today since it is something I use often but not everyday.  After doing the System Restore, PowerPoint worked great.  I then went to reinstall Boot Camp 3.2 and once again PowerPoint death.

So there you have it.  Do not install Boot Camp 3.2 if you need to use PowerPoint.  Since I am assuming most of the people who need to run Windows on a Mac do so for Microsoft Office Products my suggestion is that you don’t do the update.

Comments

1. Sherman Robinson says:

I have had the same problem. BootCamp 3.2 kills PowerPoint (text editing kills the program). Is Apple aware of this problem? I tried a restore point in Windows 7, but it did not fix the problem. Evidently, restore does not change BootCamp.

• Sorry Sherman. The restore point worked for me. I actually did it twice just to really confirm that Bootcamp was the problem, and the system restore worked for me twice.

• I finally found the solution to the problem. For whatever reason, Bootcamp disables the keyboard layout in Office 2010 for Windows when one upgrades from Bootcamp 3.1 to Bootcamp 3.2. Go to “File”, Options” , “Language” and you will see that there is a hyperlink under the heading keyboard layout which says ” not enabled”. Click on the hyperlink to select the keyboard layout and keyboard language. Once the process is completed is will say “enabled” under the keyboard layout heading. This will solve the PPT 2010 issue.

• Peter,

Thanks for finding this out! Hopefully it works. I’m reluctant to upgrade again to 3.2 since I don’t see helping me out in anything, but this hopefully works for people reading this post. If anybody else gets this to work, please let the rest of us know.

• Tejas Jayaraman says:

Open Control Panel
        In view mode “View by Category”, find the section “Clock, Language and Region”
        Click “Change Keyboards or other input methods”
        Press the button “Change Keyboards”
        Press the button “Add”
        Scroll down to “English (United States)” and expand.
        Check box “US”
        Press OK.
        Press OK. — You’ll see two keyboards listed “US” and “United States (Apple)”
        Press OK.

• Timothy Ferris says:

Great work, Peter; many thanks! I’d just upgraded to Office 2010 hoping to solve the problem, without luck, so was pretty much out of options for a major speech until I was fortunate enough to come across your post. Very, very helpful….tf

• Thank you, thank you! I even looked in there, but did not notice the not enabled. You saved me another day of frustration. You’re a hero.

• I had this exact problem and your fix was fantastic. Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

• I tried your solution, Peter, but i could not get the Keyboard Layout to read “enabled” not matter what i tried in the linked windows.

• Jimmie Lee says:

Thanks, this fixed my problem. It was instant! Great work!

• Wow, great find. This fixed it. Thanks.

2. Disappointed Apple user says:

is there any short term solution for those of us who don’t have a recent restore point?

3. Terrence, if you haven’t yet tried the new office 2011 for Mac, you may want to try it. Exactly like using office for PC. I was using Parallels for the longest time, but haven’t loaded by VM for a long time now.

• Thanks for the advice Brad. My IT department tells me though that Office 2011 needs a newer version of exchange than we currently support. Don’t know if that is totally true or not and I haven’t taken the time to figure it out.

4. genericwhiteguy says:

UPDATE: I found a fix. The latest Bootcamp update disables a keyboard setting in Windows. To fix:

Open Control Panel
    In view mode “View by Category”, find the section “Clock, Language and Region”
    Click “Change Keyboards or other input methods”
    Press the button “Change Keyboards”
    Press the button “Add”
    Scroll down to “English (United States)” and expand.
    Check box “US”
    Press OK.
    Press OK. — You’ll see two keyboards listed “US” and “United States (Apple)”
    Press OK.

5. PPT ddint work as it crashed,
    bootcamp version was 3.2
    so downgraded to 3.1 and was able to use it.

6. Jeff Sass says:

Thanks. This fix worked. There isn’t an easy way to downgrade BootCamp so thanks for this. Can you report this to Apple? They definitely should know.

7. THANK YOU so much for this solution! I came across this issue in late November but have been unable to isolate the cause since I work with numerous Windows 7 apps. I’ve had to restore my previous image backups at least twice to get my PPT app working again and have been monitoring the updates without fail to see when PPT will fail to work and finally realized it was my Bootcamp 3.2 that was causing the crash.

The recommended fix works, just remember to reboot after the keyboard setting is saved.

Thanks again!
    Dan

8. Diwakar Bista says:

Thanks for the keyboard fix. Worked for me.

9. This worked for me (PPT and XLS) with no rebooting or installing. Just a missing check in a checkbox.

Trackbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Danny Sullivan and Romit Mehta, Nithin ಜವಳಿ. Nithin ಜವಳಿ said: RT @dannysullivan: apparently apple's bootcamp upgrade killed @office powerpoint 2010. kind of inconvenient http://bit.ly/fhKsCR [...]